As we use our language in our daily life we will always use a lot of words. One of those kind of word is causative word. Not only in English language, we also use causative word in Indonesia language. Causative word is called as a verb, as in the word we found “cause” that mean causative is a verb that causing something to happen. In a causative verb there will always be a cause and an effect. How to Speak Indonesian Words Fast?
Causative verb is divided into analytical, morphological and lexical. In Indonesia causative verb only can be divided into analytical and morphological of Indonesian Causative.
1. Analytical Causative Verb – verb that’s use when the person is not giving any action, it mean the action that happen or given is happen naturally and the one that giving the action didn’t mean to do it. In English we can use have, made and cause to make sentences with this verb, but it’s really different in Indonesia.
Like in the sentence “I have Tina washed my dishes” in English, it mean Tina is doing it without any command, but in Indonesia we translate it as “Aku menyuruh Tina membersihkan piringku” in this case “menyuruh” mean giving command, that’s why Causative Verb in English and Indonesia were really different.
The example of sentence that use this verb in Indonesia is “Ibu membuat tali jadi panjang” or in English “Mom makes the tie longer” that mean the tie is getting longer but maybe mom didn’t mean to make it longer, maybe it only happen by accident.
2. Morphology Causative Verb – verb that’s use because there is an action that given by the person. The action that given here is the action that really mean to be given by the person. Here is some affix that is use on this Indonesaian verb :
- (meN-) – meN- is use as in membuka (opening). As in the sentence: Ayah membuka pintu sehingga pintu itu terbuka ( Dad is opening the door so the door is being opened), membuka or opening is the cause and terbuka or opened is the effect. (Learn more: Indonesian (me-) Prefix with Experts )
- (meN- + -kan) – this kind of affix is use as in menambahkan (adding). As in the sentence : Debi menambahkan air ke dalam mangkok itu sehingga mangkok itu penuh (Debi is adding water to the bowl so the bowl is full), manambahkan or adding is the cause and penuh or full is the effect.
- (meN- + -i) – this kind of affix is use as in membasahi (wetting). As in the sentence : Lelaki itu membasahi lantai sehingga lantainya basah (He is wetting the floor, now the floor is wet), membasahi or wetting is the cause and basah or wet is the effect.
- (memper-) – this affix is use as in memperkenalkan (introducing). As in the sentence : Ia memperkenalkan sahabatnya agar dikenal (He is introducing his best friend so they would know her), memperkenalkan or introducing is the cause and dikenal or known is the effect. (Learn more: Indonesian Affixes )
That’s all kind of causative verb that we can use in Indonesia Language, we should know that sometimes there’s a big different between English and Indonesia language. So, keep on Learning Basic Indonesian Tenses with Examples.