How to Say “Cheap” in Indonesian and Clear Examples in Conversation
Indonesian is popular by its diversity of its variant tribes and 34 provinces. The different tribes and provinces have their own languages. In order to unite all the languages, Indonesia has its own official languages named Bahasa or it is called Indonesian language.
Indonesian language has many types of words, phrases, and proverbs. Those types of words, phrases or proverbs may be able come from the combination of a word with other words or phrases. A word can be said as the basic word before they combine into phrases or proverbs.
One of the basic word which sometimes become phrases or proverbs is cheap word. Therefore, how to say cheap in Indonesian? And what is the meaning of it?
The meaning of Cheap word
Cheap (in English, from lexico.com by Oxford Dictionary)
- Cheap: Low in price, charging low prices, inexpensive because the inferior quality
Cheap (in Indonesia, from KBBI: Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia (The Official Indonesian Language Dictionary)
Cheap = Murah (mu:r^h) > Basic word
The Combination of the Cheap word (with affixes, in phrases, or in proverbs)
- Murah Hati = A good helper, A generous person
- Murah Rezeki = Getting sustenance easily
- Murah Senyum = A person who is easily smile because they are good person
- Murah Mulut = The amicable
- Murah Tangan = A giving person
- Memurahkan = The action of lowing the price
- Murahan = Under good quality, A person who is easily persuaded
- Mempermurah = Lowing the self-quality, lowing the price of (a thing/something)
- Pemurah = A kind person
- Kemurahan = It is too cheap, A generous person
- Murah di mulut, mahal di timbangan = There are many promises, yet the promises are not kept or applied
- Gigi tanggal rawan murah = useless action
- Mahal tak dapat dibeli, murah tak dapat diminta = Something which is hard to obtain
Example of Usage
|Harga buah Mangga sedang murah||The Mango price is recently cheap|
|Sepatu nya berharga murah, namun kualitasnya kurang||The shoes price is cheap, however the quality is not really good|
|A: Berapa harga buah Melon ini?|
B: Rp 20.000,-
A: Wah, murah ya! Saya beli satu
|A: How much does this Melon cost?|
B: Rp 20.000.-
A: Wow, that’s cheap! I’d like to buy one please
|Ayahnya adalah orang yang murah hati||His father is a generous person|
|Semoga hidupmu dalam kondisi murah rezeki. Aamiin||May your live are able to get the substance easily!|
|Siska adalah orang yang murah senyum dan dia baik. Banyak orang menyukainya||Siska is a person who loves to smile and she is a nice person. Many people like her|
|Penjual daging ayam memurahkan harga Ayam karena terlalu banyak stok||The chicken seller is lowing the price of chicken because it has lots of stock|
|Sepatunya murahan, karena memang kualitasnya buruk||The shoes is in the low price because of the bad quality|
|Mengikuti audisi itu sudah gigi tanggal rawan murah||Joining the audition is the useless action|
|Lelaki seperti itu hanya murah di mulut, maha di timbangan. Tinggalkan saja!||That man is a man who is full of promises yet he hardly apply and keep them|
That is the meaning of cheap word. Those are also the examples of the combination of cheap word with other words or phrases. The word can be combined into other phrases or proverbs.
Indonesian people often use cheap word in the selling and buying process. Now, you have known how to say cheap in Indonesian. Any combination of words you find with the cheap word?