Indonesia becomes the country which has 34 provinces with their unique and unforgettable cultures and variant languages. The languages from all provinces are also the assimilation from other languages of other countries. As Indonesia becomes the country of variant languages, it has the official language named Indonesian language or it is called Bahasa.
Indonesian language is rich by the words, the slang, the terms and even the proverbs. The people who want to visit Indonesia, at least, need to learn some expressions and how to say the words or sentences.
There are simple words or sentences to be learnt in Indonesian language. One of the needed word to be learnt and said is expensive word. Therefore, how to say expensive in Indonesian? Are there any other terms and sentences with expensive word in Indonesian?
The Meaning of Expensive in Indonesian
Expensive in Indonesia:
(The word Mahal (M^hɑ:l) is used to comment about the price, or to bargain the price)
According to KBBI: Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia (The Official Indonesian Language Dictionary) expensive word is high price of some things which are sold in the seller.
The Combinations of Expensive word in Indonesia (with affixes and suffixes or other words)
- Memahalkan = Increasing the price
Memahalkan = Appreciating own opinions
- Kemahalan = The price is too high
- Jual Mahal = A person who is not easily say yes to other people’s intention or statement
- Rezeki Mahal = It is hard to look for sustenance or livelihood or it is rare to get profit
- Mahal dibeli sukar dijual = It is hard to find or obtain something (proverb)
- Murah di mulut mahal di timbangan = It is easy to say it, but it is hard to do it (proverb)
- Murah di mulut, mahal di timbangan = Too many promises, however those promises are not kept or applied (proverb)
Example of Usage
|Indonesian||Meaning in English|
|Harga cabai sekarang mahal sekali di Indonesia||The price of chili is very expensive in Indonesia|
|Harga cabai mahal karena faktor cuaca juga||The price of chili is expensive because of climate factor|
|A: Berapa harga cabai nya, Pak?B: Rp 70.000.- per kilogram, Bu
A: Wah, mahal ya!
|A: How much does the chili cost, Sir?B: Rp 70.000.- per kilogram, Mam
A: Wow, that’s expensive!
|Harga sepatu ini tidak mahal karena sedang ada discount||This price of shoes is not expensive because there is a discount|
|Pedagang di sebelah sana memahalkan harga cabai yang memang sudah naik harganya||The merchant over there is increasing the chili price which is indeed expensive|
|Siska adalah orang yang jual mahal||Siska is a person who is not easily say yes to other people’s intention, attention or statement|
|Harga cabai bulan ini kemahalan||This month, chili price is too expensive|
|Batu permata ini mahal dibeli sukar dijual||This gem is hard to find or obtain|
That is the meaning of expensive word in Indonesia. The word means Mahal in Indonesian words. The word is also used in other words, sentences, and proverbs.
This word is used for bargaining or commenting while people are buying something. Have you known how to say expensive in Indonesian? Any other type of sentences with Expensive word in Indonesia you have found?
- Indonesian Shopping Phrases to be learnt
- Indonesian Language Useful Words
- Indonesian and English Conversation at the Market